Thursday, December 18, 2008

And you don't stop.....

December charges on, leaving far to little time to rest, recover or report here in the Alembic trench.
To recap...
Last Sunday was the re-launch of our Savoy cocktail night. Mr. Erik Ellestad was on hand, shaking and stirring with myself and the rest of the staff. A good time was had by all, big thanks to everyone who came by, to Erik for throwing down with us, to Jennifer at Small Hands for making some great syrups, and to our staff for being game. It is indeed challenging to throw out a 900 cocktail list for the night, but it does throw a little variety into the grind.
So much fun, in fact, that we are currently trying to plan it out as a monthly affair. I'll keep y'all posted on the dates when Erik and I work it out.
Last night, I had the pleasure of pairing some cocktails for the Three on Five event at The Fifth Floor restaurant. Emily Wines brought some muscle to the table, Craig from City Beer store brought some surprising flavors and finesse, and I brought some... ummm....booze. There was a bit of conversation about pairing philosophy, flavors and textures, and being a competition, some voting.
In the end, Emily held on to her well deserved title for overall best pairings. Though I did win the best pairing for 2 of 5 dishes, as did Craig. Great chance to try some new stuff. I will post the menu when I get a little more time.
This afternoon the chefs and I sat down to work out a very special NEW YEARS EVE at Alembic.
The menu is being finalized, but think "dressed up" small plates. Foie gras, lobster, oysters, caviar, and of course bubbles and cocktail pairings to start of the night right.
It's gonna be a black tie affair for us (you, however, come as you are.)
We will be accepting reservations for the first seating of the evening (5 to 6pm) though there are not that many seats, so grab 'em now. E-mail me with any questions or requests.
After that, it's on a first come basis.
Thats it for now, I gotta get back to work before the staff realizes I am not out back having a smoke.

No comments: